Saturday, 25 January 2014

Slashing, Inserting and Shopping


Okay so it’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I have done some sewing, by machine and by hand! 

I have been working on my slash and insert blocks and I have 4 done, then when I sat back and put them next to each other I realized they needed more slashes, so back to work I will go.


 I have 15 hexie flowers done and I love how they look when they are spread out on my counter at work. I still have a while to go and some time to decide how I will finally put them together.


I finally made it to Ikea to purchase more shelving to go under my frame to help organize fabric, threads and pantographs.

I didn't add the legs to the cabinet, they make it too tall. I might look for very small legs to lift the cabinet to make it easier to open the doors on the carpet.                                                                                                     http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S69893644/#/S19893646    
I already bought a cabinet to hold some fabric. It was my second choice of cabinets but Sharon and I were unable to carry the first cabinet because it was so heavy! Now I can't even remember what cabinet it was.

Sorry iPhone photo and weird angle
The baskets hold a lot of fabric and let air circulate.
I read something on the blog (or a magazine article about) of Weeks Ringle she talked about loosing a lot of fabric to sunlight. She also recommended having air flow around you fabric. I guess because cotton is a natural fabric it is susceptible to light and mustiness. So many quilter's studios show pictures of their fabric displayed out on shelves. My studio is in my formal living room with many windows which are great for light to sew by but not great for fabric survival. So my fabric is folded to fit in the baskets. The sun stays off the fabric and the air circulates around and keeps it fresher.

The next cabinet I bought will hold my LA thread, pantographs and LA rulers. I first saw this at Tamarack Shack's blog during a studio tour. I hope to be more organized and keep the clutter off the cutting table!
http://tamarackshack.blogspot.ca/2013/12/real-studio-tour-thread-storage.html
Okay, gotta go and build furniture with very vague instructions!
Happy sewing :)


3 comments:

  1. watch out for the pocket screws...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow I love love those slashed blocks. Won't that be a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...the slashes are great and I can't wait to see what happens with the flowers. !
    I love your LA thread cabinet too...I need to make an Ikea visit, it's been awhile. :)
    hugs,
    susie

    ReplyDelete