I cut out paper shapes and played with block placements on my dining room table. (I lost the photos that show this, which is too bad I liked the pattern) I also auditioned fabrics for the DWR. All along I wanted to use a specific fabric in the center of the DWR, specifically a set of characters. When my rulers arrived I realized they were too small and too thick to showcase the fabric I wanted to use, so I searched on line and found several patterns to start from until I came up with the size and thickness I wanted. You know the pencil on a string to make a circle...
|Image from, http://www.modes4u.com/en/kawaii/p12327_white-witch-family-fabric-by-Alexander-Henry-Ghastlies.html|
Next I needed an idea to go with the fabric. I knew the DWR = a wedding ring. I'm not married, what do I know about marriage, I only know the things I learned from listening to married people and TV shows. I talked it over with Sharon (my colour consultant turned ideas woman) and showed her the fabric. We thought it was a bit like Downton Abby (almost the same expressions on their faces! LOL!!!).
|Image from, http://kootation.com/downton-abbey-big-bang-theory.html,|
So I went online to look for an image to help me design the ball and chain. I found one image that I really liked so I changed it to suit the placement of the ball and chain in a 20" square (those are the measurements for the small quilt challenge). Now I could get to work.
|Check out those expressions!|
|The background is much pinker than this photo shows.|
I put the quilt on my frame and I outlined the couple then meander quilted the inside of the circle. I quilted around the arcs of the DWR, then I did my favourite paisley stitch around the outside of the circle, chain and shackle. I wanted it to look like lace, after all this is a wedding!
Well here it is my entry for the small DWR Challenge. I call it "The Old Ball and Chain" or "Forged in Love". It is 19 1/4" wide and 20" tall.
|The "corner" blocks are made from the large flowers you can see inside the circle, I outlined the circle in ribbon thread.|
|The label made from more of the Ghastlies fabric.|
|The quilting from the back.|
Well here I go, I'm linking up to the challenge. Wish me luck - hope everyone looks at it with a sense of humour!